Xtremegaminerd.com is a participant in Amazon Associate Program and is supported by the readers. The qualifying purchase you make through our links may get us some commission and doesn't cost you an extra penny.
Why Buy DDR4 Ram?
Reason #1. DDR4 memories are newest and the latest technology in the field of computers. If you really want the best bang for your buck then you can’t get faster than ddr4 memories. Even the Workstation computers use these memories because of immense fast speed and lower power consumption.
Reason #2. The other reason is the cost. Last year the cost of a ddr4 ram module was much more than a ddr3 module. Now the price difference is zero. You can get a ddr4 ram stick with the same capacity for the same price which makes it a clear winner and best value for dollar spent.
Reason #3. They use the skylake platform which is even more power efficient that the previous intel haswell generation. Skylake processors include processors like i3 6100, i5 6600K and i7 6700K which are 10% faster than the previous gen intel processors and consume less power. So overall you will need a lower wattage psu for running all the components.
The AMD Zen processors which are coming next year will also be going to use ddr4 memories only. So it’s a better option for gamers and workstation workers.
Are they really fast?
– Definitely they are faster than ddr3 memories in a lot of ways. Benchmarks have shown that they perform better in applications like Winrar, video editing and in games where there is no dedicated video card is involved. If you just use the intel hd graphics then you will see a large difference between the fps when you compare them to ddr3 platforms. But with a dedicated gpu however the difference is marginal.
But of course if the prices are same, why not go with a faster option. DDR4 memories are clocked faster. A normal gaming ddr3 ram module is clocked at 1600Mhz and the fastest you can get is 2133Mhz whereas ddr4 ram starts with 2133Mhz as the slowest option and goes upto 3200Mhz which is insanely fast.
I have seen the difference clearly my self when I upgraded from a [easyazon_link identifier=”B005T63BJM” locale=”US” tag=”xtremegaminer-20″]1600Mhz corsair vengeance[/easyazon_link] ddr3 ram to a [easyazon_link identifier=”B015FXXBW0″ locale=”US” tag=”xtremegaminer-20″]3200Mhz G.Skill ddr4 ram[/easyazon_link]. You can downclock it or overclock it as much as your motherboard supports.
The Myth: With higher clocked Ram’s the CAS Latency increases and so the amount of time taken to execute an operation increases.
– No, it’s not exactly like that. The CAS Latency plays a minimal role in speed of ram. If you want to bust the myth, read my article on Is it time to ditch DDR3 memories? right now.
So what are the best ddr4 gaming memories available?
– There are a lot of brands available which offer quite good memories for day to day work and for intense operations. Some of them are newly started and haven’t gained any popularity. The best point before choosing a gaming ram is not to look at the brand first but to look at the specifications first. I have listed the best 5 brands right below which will provide you the best value for your money. I have wisely chosen all the memories with a lot of research excluding those modules which are good but are overpriced when compared to their faster counterparts.
I haven’t listed every other brand available in the market to fill the article but only a few ones which are really popular because of the performance they deliver at such a reasonable price.
#1. Kingston DDR4 Memories
Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8gb: Check Amazon Price[easyazon_link identifier=”B00TY6A1P0″ locale=”US” tag=”xtremegaminer-20″][/easyazon_link]
Kingston hyperX memories are popular for a long time. They are in the market for a long time and have provided very solid and reliable gaming ram’s for both ddr3 and ddr4 platforms. The one which is shown below is clocked at 2133Mhz which is the starting point for the ddr4 memories but the real reason to choose it first is because it has the lowest price and is popular among the budget gamers.
For 1080p resolution, a dedicated graphics card and 8gb ram is enough for maxing out most of the titles and with this speed it’s fantastic for a budget build.
Timings: 2133MHz, 14-14-14, 1.2V
- Optimized for Intel’s 100 series and X99 chipsets
- Cost-efficient high-performance DDR4 upgrade
- At 1.2V, low power consumption compared to DDR3
- Stylish, low-profile heat spreader in signature FURY asymmetrical design
Kingston HyperX Predator Black 16GB: Check Amazon Price
When you want higher speeds and faster performance in applications. A 3200Mhz ram is the fastest you can get. This one has a reasonable price and has a nice design on it’s aluminium heat spreader. Although the CL is 16 but if you have read my article on ddr3 vs ddr4 memories you will know it will still perform faster. The best thing about the faster clocked memories is that when your cpu is somewhat low end and your graphics card is getting bottlenecked by it, a faster clocked ram will remove the bottleneck to a lot of extent.
If you are an enthusiast like me and having a motherboard that supports upto 3200mhz clocked ram, you shouldn’t compromise with the quality of your Ram. Just buy it.
Timings: 3200MHz, 16-18-18, 1.35V
- Quad channel available
- Fierce heat spreader in black aluminum
- High speeds and low latencies for extreme DDR4 performance
- Intel XMP-ready profiles optimized for Intel 100 series chipset and X99 motherboards
- Lower power consumption than DDR3
- 100-percent factory tested at speed
#2. Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 Memories
Ballistix Sport LT 8GB: Check Amazon Price
Just as Kingston, the Crucial ballistix sport memories both in ddr3 and ddr4 versions are pretty popular. This one is clocked at 2400Mhz and has a CAS latency of 16 which is a bit higher than normal but the price of this chip makes it to the list. As it’s faster than the kingston hyperX 2133Mhz memory and has almost the same price, you can’t go wrong if you choose this over the kingston one.
But as the kingston HyperX 2133mhz has lower CAS Latency that chip also makes sense. So it’s now upto you, If you like to go with higher speed and have a motherboard supporting this much speed then Crucial will make your build completely badass and at the same time it will look very good if you choose a red themed build. This memory is also available in two more colours: white and grey.
Timings: 2400MHz, 16-16-16, 1.2V
- Speeds start at 2400 MT/s
- Faster speeds and responsiveness than standard Crucial DDR4 memory
- Ideal for gamers and performance enthusiasts
- Four channel memory architecture maximizes data rates
- Digital camo heat spreader available in white, gray and red
#3. Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Memories
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB: Check Amazon Price
Now comes the Corsair vengeance memories which are the most popular among all the brands. I personally love these memories and have used a Corsair vengeance 1600Mhz 8gb ddr3 ram in my previous build. These come with great design and good specifications. This one is clocked at 2400Mhz just as the Crucial ballistix memory but the CAS Latency is only 14 which is two less than what Crucial has.
But the only difference is price. It’s a little bit expensive but frankly not that much expensive that you should ignore it over others. 2-3 dollars don’t matter when you can get the best. I have already used this memory in some of my builds and gamers are pretty much happy with these ones. Now to match your build theme, it’s available in 3 more colours: white, blue and red.
Timings: 2400MHz, 14-16-16, 1.2V
- Designed for high-performance overclocking
- Designed for great looks
- Heatspreader: Anodized Aluminum
- Compatible with X99 platform
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB : Check Amazon Price
When you want only corsair brand but at the same time faster speed then Corsair also has some pretty fast memories. These are massively clocked at 3200Mhz and are supported on some of the best motherboards with Z170 chipset and X99 chipset motherboards. Although the design is just the same as of 2400Mhz ram modules but now you get higher clock speeds and can adjust the clocks automatically in your bios. This thing is superb for gaming on a high end rig and you will get faster operations on all applications.
Timings: 3200MHz, 16-18-18, 1.35V
- Each Vengeance LPX module is built with a pure aluminum heatspreader for faster heat dissipation and cooler operation
- Each IC is individually screened for performance potential. Available in multiple colors to match your motherboard, your components, or just your style
- Vengeance LPX is optimized and compatibility tested for the latest Intel 100 Series motherboards and offers higher frequencies, greater bandwidth, and lower power consumption
- XMP 2.0 support for trouble-free automatic overclocking
- The Vengeance LPX module height is carefully designed to fit smaller spaces
#4. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 Memories
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB: Check Amazon Price
Now comes my personal favourite brand. The GSkill Ripjaws memories are used widely in the gaming builds you will see on the internet and youtube. These are very reliable and give you the best bang for your buck. Believe me it’s the best you can get for your money and these are faster than the Corsair vengeance 3200Mhz sticks. As a user of these memories in my new build, I am very much satisfied. 2x8gb of sticks on a Z170 motherboard that supports upto 3200Mhz clock speed, will allow you to automatically adjust the overclocking as you wish.
Be sure you use at least a Asus Z170 A or Asus Z170 pro gaming motherboard if you want to have the total benefit of these sticks. Whenever I want to overclock them I just go in the bios, increase the default clock of 2133Mhz to 3200Mhz and then the results I get are not even the one I see on the internet. The clocks automatically jump even higher than 3200Mhz when I do gaming. Definitely If I am amazed by these you will be amazed by these too.
Timings: 3200MHz, 16-16-16, 1.35V
- High Performance and Gaming Memory
- Power Efficient
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- XMP 2.0 support for trouble-free automatic overclocking
- Available in 5 different colours
#5. Avexir DDR4 Memories
Avexir Red Raiden 8GB: Check Amazon Price
These memories are not best bang for buck but these are for enthusiasts only. Youtube Channels like Bitwit and Linustechtips have reviewed them because these are the only ram sticks which aren’t using any LED’s but Plasma lightings. You can see in the above image that the plasma lights look like the lightning in the sky. These look gorgeous and are present in 3 different colours: Blue, Red and green. The design of heat spreaders is so unique that I have never seen any of like these before. If you are an enthusiast and don’t want to compromise with the looks of your build, I will suggest you to buy these because you just can’t move your eyes from them.
Timings: 2666Hz, 15-15-15, 1.2V
- Machined Aluminum Heat Sink For Convective Heat Dissipation
- Hand Sorted IC By AVEXIR IC Sorting Technology
- Custom 10 Layers PCB For Better Conductive Heat Transfer
- Unique memories with Plasma lightings
- Available in 3 different colours